1.08.2011

A Family Affair

Today Chris, Noah, and I all played a role in my beautiful cousin Adrian's wedding. Chris was asked to usher, Noah was the ring bearer, and I played the flute for the seating of the grandparents and parents and the bridesmaids' processional. The wedding was one of the best I have witnessed; it was poignant and classy yet not stuffy or drawn out. Everything was personal and tasteful, and you could sense Matt and Adrian's style in each detail of the wedding and reception.

The back story: Adrian is the only child of Aunt Kay, my dad's sister (she's #5, Dad's #4), and Uncle Tim. They live in Fort Worth, so Adrian and I have seen a lot of each other over the years and are close. I remember when she was young and would get so worked up about something that it would make her throw up! Luckily, she outgrew that phase. I went to her birthday parties and played with her and my other cousins at the many family gatherings we had over the years. I saw her act in plays and musicals, and once saw her perform with the praise band at her church. Adie is so fun to be around because she's so interested in you and what you are doing. In recent years, Adrian has become one of the biggest fans of Noah, and that says A LOT, seeing as how he has so many fans. She is hilarious because she brags about him to people who have never met him, so I met many people today who already knew all about Noah and his antics. She loves Chris and treats him like a brother. Adrian has been through a lot--the chronic illness of her dad comes to mind--but she always has an optimistic attitude and downplays her own struggles in order to be there for others. She graduated from DBU and went to the Southwestern Baptist Seminary, where her parents work, for graduate school, and that's where she met Matt, so we know God brought them together at that time in their lives for a reason. Matt is a fantastic guy who has a calming effect on my cousin (if you know her, that is a very important attribute) and plans to enter the ministry after finishing seminary.

When Adrian asked Noah to be ring bearer, she made sure we knew that she had no expectations and that he would just be cute no matter what he did. Good thing, too! We practiced walking the aisle with a pillow, using Reese's pieces and cars as bribes, but all Noah would do at rehearsal was RUN! He hightailed it up that aisle with the pillow flapping in one hand, giggling, all the way to the front over and over. Oh, well, we said, at least he doesn't cry. Then, today, he saw all those people and couldn't spot Nana, his target, and he froze. Chris held his hand and they walked about halfway, until Noah really panicked and tried to turn and run, then pleaded to Chris, "Hold you?!" Chris is the oldest ring bearer to date.

Diana was one of the bridesmaids, along with our cousins Anne (getting married in May!) and Kendall, the maid of honor. As most weddings go, we had lots of family in town, including all eight of my dad's siblings. They made sure to get the traditional picture of the nine kids--most of these pictures occur at weddings. Also, lucky Adrian has an even bigger family than I do, because her dad is one of seven. I believe they were all at the wedding as well. Adrian's colors were gray and yellow, and she even found yellow shoes to coordinate.

Mom and Noah at the reception

Stephanie and Diana waiting anxiously for the bouquet toss!
Here's the video, and you can hear part of the flute music! It's long, because it includes the bridal processional too. The pieces I played were Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring with cello accompaniment, and Fairest Lord Jesus with piano and cello.





The wedding was lovely and I am incredibly happy for my cousin Adrian and her new husband Matt. I hope they have a great honeymoon in Paris and a blessed marriage!


And, as usual, please click on the album below if you would like to see some pictures from the rehearsal and reception.
January 2011

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Couple things
1. Adrian is beautiful
2. Madison watched the video with me and kept saying "Angel singing!"
3. Your blog is in need of a makeover! Send me a current pic of Noah and we will fix that!

Angela said...

woohoo! I know, my pics are so out-of-date!! :) thanks my favorite artist

PS I'm glad to know Madi is such a flute fan. Maybe she will take after us?