6.20.2013

Sermons and Softball

Last week, Chris got a call from our minister, asking him to speak for a few minutes on Sunday morning about "the joys of being a father," specifically a relatively new father. Chris told him he'd think about it, then called me to ask what I thought. Um, hello?! I said, "Go for it!" I was actually quite shocked that he was willing to consider it. I am so proud that Chris had the courage to stand before the congregation and talk about what it means to be a dad. This is one Father's Day we won't forget!


Two other men spoke, one about having teenage children and the other about seeing your children become parents. It was really inspirational to hear them; the father of the teenagers shared that the proudest moments in his life were when his daughters were baptized, one of them by him. Wow! I pray that we will experience this joy with our own children.

On a completely random and different note (yeah... I have no idea how to title this post...), I am playing on a brand new women's softball team consisting mostly of ladies from our church. We have a few others to help bulk up the roster, like our VERY OWN Courtney and Stephanie!!! It is so much fun doing something like this with my awesome sisters-in-law. Anyway, tonight was our second game and it went much better than our first. One of the ladies, Brianna, likes to post a "top 10" on Facebook, and here was tonight's post:

Top Ten Diva Dramas in tonight's game:

10. Cady's pitching and fielding AaaWESooOme-ness! (Imagine a sing-songy voice)
9. The LEGITIMATE outs we made on defense...WHaaaT?!
8. Rosalind and Ashley, catching like maniacs, hardly gave the backstop any action. 
7. Robbie's mean, green $5 bat!
6. Lisa, Amy, Haley and Courtney tearing up the turf to get it to the "cut-off Diva" (yep, that's a new softball term)
5. Angie's purple,polka-dot, psychedelic, psych-out socks (we need to add these to our official uniform)
4. An Umpire who was enjoying herself more than was completely necessary... !
3. Kelly's injured quad, making her the youngest player ever to need a pinch runner!
2. Randy's exclamation in the bottom of the last inning: "We only need 19 runs to win, ladies!" Way to spur us on... *eye roll*
1. Angela's bloody knee and super awesome play that earns her a shirt "I bleed for the Divas!"

And, as evidence that I indeed earned that shirt:

um... not sure softball is worth this.


No comments: