11.01.2013

HaLloWeEN

About two months ago, I asked Noah, "So, what do you want to be for Halloween?" His answer: "El Chupacabra," the hilarious Gee Bee airplane from the recent Disney movie Planes.


I asked Jamie if she would help me with Noah's costume this year, and she was really excited to put her crafty skills to work. I was picturing something like this:


Well, once Jamie got some ideas and Drew got involved... 

THIS is what we got! 

They bought a big sheet of pink foam insulation from Home Depot and started crafting a skeleton body of the plane, then the wings, tail, and nose. Even the propeller was down to a precision science, and spun in the wind! Jamie then used Mod Podge and tissue paper to make the skin of the plane, and painted it herself. She even made the cape and used glue to stiffen it, and made about four or five shoe covers until she got it just right! It was incredible.

Noah was excited to wear his costume to school this year for the costume parade and a visit to the retirement center next door! You should have seen the looks on the kids' and parents' faces when he walked into school in that costume. I made sure to let people know that his grandparents made it for two reasons: 1) I wanted them to get the credit, and 2) I didn't want people to think we went out and bought some crazy-expensive costume! That thing would have been outrageous if it were even possible to purchase! Several parents asked if they could take his picture.



The costume parade consisted of walking around the school and into each classroom to show the other kids their costumes. Well, Noah couldn't fit through any standard-sized doorways, so the kids had to crane their heads to see him. They were all so amazed! Next, the entire pre-K group walked next door to the retirement center, where they walked through the hallways for the residents to see them. It was almost embarrassing to see all the attention Noah garnered! I felt kind of bad for the Power Rangers, princesses and ninjas surrounding him... 




After $3 Boo-ritos at Chipotle for dinner, we went back home and got ready to trick-or-treat. Audrey wore the elephant costume that I adore from when Noah was 11 months old. Mom added a tail, and I added a tutu and hairbows! Love the finished product! 


Our friends Kelly, Caleb and Levi joined us for neighborhood trick-or-treating, and although MY street was super-lame and people were not answering doors (even with their porch lights on!), several of the other neighbors got really into the spirit...pun intended. So much fun!

Levi, Caleb, Noah and Audrey in front of our house




Scarecrow was a real guy, scaring kids!

El Chupacabra bit the dust... ran into Levi and snapped one prop, then tripped and snapped the other.
Noah got pretty tired of being bulky, too. Poor Papa!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

3 comments:

Diana @ wonderfully made. said...

I can't stop giggling at the fact that Noah couldn't fit through any standard size doorways....that and his masquerade mask! bahahahahaha. Also, that elephant is looking worn out. :( poor baby! Looks like a successful Halloween!!!

Andrea - Momfessionals said...

Seriously incredible! What a fun memory!

Unknown said...

Noah and Audrey's costumes were adorable! very creative and unique :)