7.07.2015

Thursday in Ireland

Thursday was a day which I had been anticipating all week: my bus tour of the Ring of Kerry on the Iveragh Peninsula of Ireland! Boarding time was at 8:20 a.m. so I ate a very early breakfast with Chris and set off on foot to Cork's city centre, easily navigating myself to the bus pick-up location. The Ring of Kerry is considered one of the finest drives in the world because of its variety of scenic views, from rugged cliffs to isolated beaches and quaint towns to green pastures. We first traveled to Killarney, where we were given an hour to explore and grab a coffee. 


St. Mary's Church of Ireland in Killarney


I did a little souvenir shopping but didn’t venture too much because I was terrified of missing the bus and being stuck in Killarney! From there we drove the famous Ring of Kerry, enjoying the spectacular scenery and stopping at scenic points and small towns along the way. We went through Killorglin, home of an ancient Celtic festival called Puck Fair. 

We stopped for a bathroom break at The Red Fox Inn in Kells























Random Irish man with his tourist attraction: dog on a donkey.

We drove along parts of the Dingle Peninsula, enjoying views of Dingle Bay and Inch Beach, and through a town called Waterville, known for its association with Charlie Chaplin. 




Lunch was at a tourist haven way up on a foggy mountain, and I had a delicious shepherd’s pie and enjoyed conversation with two people from Northern Ireland.

Lunch at the Scariff Inn in Caherdaniel





On the road, we dealt with treacherous conditions, including narrow lanes and loose cows.


We continued on, stopping in Sneem for an afternoon treat and fantastic views of the rapids that ran through the center of the town. 


I had a delicious piece of apple pie at Kelly's Bakery in Sneem

We traveled through Killarney National Park, stopping for pictures and to enjoy the panoramic views of the Lakes of Killarney and Black Valley. 





We also stopped at Ladies’ View for pictures of the breathtaking scenery, and finally ended our tour at Torc Waterfall. 





We got back to Cork by about 6:45, and I met Chris and his coworker Scott at The Fish Wife, a college-y fish & chips take-away place. After a satisfying dinner we walked a little of the city and stopped for Starbucks (yes, but it’s the only American place I went!). I was excited to cut through Bishop Lucey Park and view the discovered remains of the 13th century city wall of Cork (I had read about this in a guide book).



Chris and I were pretty worn out so we hoofed it back to the hotel so we could call the kids and get to bed.

See all my pictures HERE

2 comments:

Diana @ wonderfully made. said...

pretty! One question - did they serve the apple pie with cheese? Just curious. Looked fun!

Angela said...

They did not... I thought that was a Southern thing? I know Texans who eat it that way!