12.03.2020

San Francisco: Friday




Friday in the Bay Area looked to be another beautiful day! I took the train in to San Francisco without any hiccups this time. I navigated the route from train to bus, then took the bus to the Mission District. A friend had warned me to avoid certain areas of this district, so I was pretty careful about which bus route to choose and how far I would wander. 

Chris and I had grabbed breakfast at McDonald's and I didn't have much, so I thought I'd have a little brunch in the Mission Dolores area. I stopped at a cafe with some outdoor tables, and ordered a breakfast burrito--it was huge, spicy, and delicious! I didn't even need lunch after that.

Onward to the mission!


Established in 1776 by the Franciscan order, the mission is the oldest surviving building in San Francisco. Formally named Mission San Francisco de Asís, after Saint Francis of Assisi, the mission was nicknamed Mission Dolores after the nearby creek, Arroyo de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores. The current mission building survived the Mexican War of Independence, the California Gold Rush, and several earthquakes, most notably the earthquake of 1906 that destroyed a nearby brick church.
Source: sftravel


The nearby basilica was finished in 1918 and overshadows the original adobe mission.






Near the mission is Mission Dolores Park, a jewel!






I noticed something interesting on Google maps and decided to check it out: The Golden Fire Hydrant!


Turns out, this fire hydrant is the one credited with saving the historic Mission District neighborhood during the fires that followed the 1906 earthquake. Most of the city's fire hydrants failed, but this one, nicknamed "little giant," was the only functioning hydrant! Every April 18, the hydrant is painted with a fresh coat of gold paint. 

It has a memorial plaque:



“Though the water mains were broken and dry on April 18, 1906 yet from this Greenberg hydrant on the following night there came a stream of water allowing the firemen to save the Mission District.
Dedicated to chief Dennis Sullivan and the men who fought the Great Fire and to the spirit of the people of San Francisco who regardless of their losses brought our city from its ruins to be host of the world with their 1915 Pan Pacific Exposition and the building of our Civic Center.
May their love and devotion for this city be an inspiration for all to follow and their motto ‘The city that knows how’ a light to lead all future generations.”

I took the bus and train back toward the downtown area of San Francisco, deciding to check some of the remaining little things off my list!


A sign of the times--I came upon a street closure with people holding "count every vote" signs. As I approached, I saw that an organized group was painting COUNT EVERY VOTE on the street. I asked someone what they were painting and for what purpose, and he told me the law firm that represents President Trump had offices looking down on that street. I thought this would be a unique memory of San Francisco 2020.




I continued toward Russian Hill and one of its many famous stairways, the Vallejo Street Stairs. On the way, I enjoyed the sights!


Vallejo St. Stairs

The views were a fitting reward for the steep climb!







I headed back down and went over to the City Lights Booksellers to browse the multi-level landmark bookshop established in 1953.


By then I had a rumbly in my tumbly, and I hadn't yet tried the highly recommended sacripantina cake at Stella Pastry, so...



Amazing! This was my taste of San Francisco's Little Italy. 

Finally, I walked to Washington Square Park and basked in the sunshine. Sts. Peter and Paul Church overlooks the square.


I caught the (correct) train back to the hotel and got cleaned up and ready for dinner that night with Marcus and his wife Rochelle. Marcus is the vendor Chris had been working with all week, and they picked a Mediterranean place in Pleasanton. We had a really nice time with them, then got back to the hotel to rest up for a big day together Saturday!

No comments: