11.06.2008

Why I Voted for Obama (or rather, against McCain)

1. Being a Christian does not automatically make you a Republican.

Sure, I am anti-abortion. I am also strongly against homosexuality, especially recognizing homosexual couples as married couples. Hmm... pretty sure abortion is still legal, and pretty sure that the outbreak of states allowing gay couples to marry happened under the presidency of a Republican. Was anything done to prevent this? I think not. Turns out our elected leaders take divisive stances on moral issues simply to get votes. Shocking, I know. The Republican party touts itself as the Christian party, making Christians believe that if they vote for a Democrat, they are voting against God. I didn't fall for it this year, and I feel fairly confident that President Obama will not be promoting partial-birth abortion with flyers and pamphlets, nor will he go down as the President who legalized gay marriage across the board. Maybe he won't do anything to stop states from doing so, but hey, did Bush?

2. John McCain showed a huge lapse in judgement before he was even elected!

Um, hello, Sarah Palin? This is not only a woman with debatable experience, she is also the mother of a pregnant teenager and a brand-new baby with Downs. First of all, I have a problem with her even working at all when it's obvious that her children need her to help raise them. John McCain chose her as a running mate to get votes, again, from people who say stuff like, "Well, she has a baby with Downs, so that proves she's anti-abortion." Barack Obama has two healthy girls, so I guess he's anti-abortion, too. On a side note, he's also anti-adultery and anti-divorce, in stark contrast to the example of John McCain, our "Christian" Republican candidate. Anyway, McCain is no spring chicken and, God forbid, if he were to die in office, is Sarah Palin really who we want leading America? Yikes!

3. It's time to see what a Democrat can do in office.

I don't know a lot about politics or economics, but I think it's safe to say that the last eight years has been pretty devastating economically. And I haven't done any fact-checking, but I'm pretty sure that Clinton was the only president who did not get the USA into any MORE debt than we're already in. Personally, I would just like a government that doesn't just print more money when they need it--sure, our taxes won't go up, but our inflation sure will!

I wanted to express these thoughts after hearing several members of my church moan and groan about how horrible Obama will be for America. It seems that people have forgotten Romans 13:1-7, which asserts that "The authorities that exist have been established by God." It's a good idea to read the whole passage, especially if you're worried about where our country is headed. Also, the best we can do under any president is to pray for him or her: 1 Timothy 2:1-2. I hope I haven't offended any supporters of McCain; I don't have a problem with how other people voted--I just don't want to be criticized for how I voted.

2 comments:

The King Family said...

Thanks for sharing. I personally voted for McCain, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We just have to remember God is in control, and He knows what lies ahead. How are you feeling?

Anonymous said...

amen sista. holla.