While I am psyched about the Rangers going up 3-1 tonight in the 11th against Detroit, it's darkly overshadowed by today's significance.
 |
| Caleb and Noah at the zoo, summer 2010 |
Almost four years ago, a young family of three moved into the area and placed membership at our church. Joe and Kelly (and their son Caleb) quickly dove into the work, met everyone they laid eyes on, and became that couple who knows everyone; enthusiastically plans, leads, or joins every event or activity; and basically anchors so many of us who don't always fit in or feel a part of the group. I could go on for pages about how much they have impacted our church, but I just want to say a few things about my friend Kelly.
 |
| Katelyn, Caleb, Noah and Grayson at small groups at our house, spring 2010 |
|
Kelly is my first really close Christian friend. I never knew what I was missing out on. It has been a blessing to have another mom who, despite her quirks and faults, perseveres through all the struggles of life while maintaining focus on the Lord. Kelly has inspired me to think more about how I treat others, what I say, what I do with my time. This may sound like she is stuffy and boring, but Kelly is anything but. Granted, her voice messages usually last between 10-12 minutes, she's sought my advice on everything from which pair of boots to buy to which house she should rent in Maine, she has been known to invite herself along on anything that sounds like it could be fun, and she wanted to continue having adult sleepover parties after her family had to stay with us because of a broken air conditioner. She is one crazy lady, but she always makes me laugh, listens and thinks hard when presented with a problem or question, loves to do anything with other people, and is someone I value more and more each day she is my friend.
 |
| Caleb and Noah at Six Flags |
 |
| Joe and Chris with the boys in downtown FW |
 |
| Joe, Chris and John on July 4th... note the apparel!!! |
 |
| One of my faves of Kelly with Levi |
 |
| Saturday at Caleb's birthday party: Noah, Ethan, Caleb and Ethan |
 |
| Noah and Caleb share a love of Cars (watching Mater's Tall Tales here, just the other day) |
Tomorrow morning Kelly, Caleb (5) and Levi (18 mos.) leave for almost
three years in Maine. Joe is in an occupational therapy graduate program
there--six weeks ago they found out he was accepted and he left within a
week. Since then, Kelly has packed her house, listed it for sale, tied
up some things with work here, found a house in Maine (with Joe's
help--and mine, I guess), and said many tearful goodbyes to all those
whose lives she and Joe and their sweet kids have touched. I have been
fortunate to spend a lot of time with her and the boys over the past
week and weekend (we got some sleepovers in, after all), but it is still
hard to say goodbye--for now.
 |
| Me and Kelly at church in July |
No comments:
Post a Comment