6.18.2022

National Parks Road Trip 2022 Days 1-2: New Mexico

We kicked off this summer with a much-anticipated road trip! Despite sky-high gas prices and climbing COVID cases, we were determined to head northwest and see parts of the country we've never seen. Audrey received her 4th grade "Every Kid in a Park" pass, so at least we had some great savings there!

The kids were loaded up and ready to go early on Friday, the day after school got out!

As we were leaving town, we learned of family members who were positive for COVID. We had some trepidation about going, and I preemptively took some zinc to help my immune system fight anything to which I may have been exposed.

On the road, I started to feel kind of nauseous and uncomfortable. By the time we stopped for lunch, I couldn't even think about eating, and ended up getting sick. I pretty quickly realized that I had overdosed on zinc! Oops! I felt much better later that day, thankfully. What a way to start a trip.

We stayed at Fort Amarillo RV Park in Amarillo, a previous favorite and a good launch point out of Texas!

We love our little E-Pro camper! It makes the one night stops SO much more manageable.

Saturday we entered New Mexico! Our destination was the Bar S RV park in Grants, New Mexico.



RV Parks: basically glorified parking lots

We were so excited to get going and see some things that we drove out to part of El Malpais National Monument to hike to the Bat Cave and Xenolith Cave, hoping to catch the twilight bat flight.



These caves, along with many others, are part of a lava tube system in the National Monument. As we hiked, we saw the Double Sinks (the trail cut right between them)! These two pits are about 80 ft. deep.




We arrived at the Bat Cave and Xenolith Cave before the sun set, and tried to wait patiently for a bat show!







As dusk settled, we started to hear and see a few bats, but nothing dramatic and it was very hard to spot the ones that came out since it was getting so dark. We finally headed back along the trail in low light, using our flashlights by the time we got back to the cars. We enjoyed the cool evening air and the opportunity to warm up our legs for all the hiking!

No comments: