4.11.2009

Food for thought

I just bought a book about homemade baby food because I am most likely going to try making my own. It's called Homemade Baby Food: Pure & Simple by Connie Linardakis. I never thought I'd be the type to go all-natural, organic, tree-hugger, hippie-ish, but when it comes to Noah, I have really done a lot of research. The gist of the book explains that store-bought baby food has additives like starch, sugar, salt, and preservatives--stuff the baby doesn't really need, although it may not hurt him. Also, of course, making my own baby food will be much more cost-effective than buying it. Another thing I learned is that the harsh light in the stores actually destroys nutrients like the B vitamin riboflavin when the food is stored in clear jars.

I also appreciated the brief, scientific discussion of breast milk vs. formula because it is an easy way to explain to people the number one reason why I chose to breastfeed. There are many, many benefits of it, financial, emotional, logistical, and otherwise, but the greatest reason to feed Noah the most natural way is for his health. I have gotten several comments such as, "Well, at least you're saving money," "It's nice that you have the time to do it since you stay home," and, "Since you're comfortable with it, I guess that's a good option." No one is comfortable with potential public exposure, or even with nursing in a room with others who may think it's weird or gross. I really, truly don't do this for my own benefit (although the calorie-burning is a nice bonus). As this book states, cow's milk (from which most formulas are made) has a much higher protein content than breast milk, which is hard on an infant's kidneys and hard to digest. Formula manufacturers also have to supplement the cow's milk with extra carbohydrates, often lactose or corn syrup (which can cause botulism). Human milk also gets 4% of its calories from essential fatty acids that must be obtained from food, whereas unmodified cow's milk gets only 1% of its calories from fatty acids. Also, breast milk has more omega-3 fats than formula, and these play an important role in brain development. Unmodified cow's milk contains more calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, and fluoride; the high concentration of these damages a baby's kidneys, so the milk must be adjusted. One thing that cannot be controlled by formula makers is the bioavailability of minerals--this refers to how well the body can absorb and use nutrients. A good example: there are about 3 mg of iron per quart of breast milk or formula, but babies absorb 49% of the iron coming from breast milk as opposed to less than 1% of the iron in formula. So enlightening! Finally, an overall summary of the benefits, besides being nutritionally superior: breast milk enhances the immune system, lessens allergies and intolderances, ensures against overfeeding, promotes proper jaw and tooth development, is always fresh and safe, and decreases the risk of SIDS. So for all the moms who breastfed or at least tried to, I salute you! :)

2 comments:

cheryl115 said...

Good for you Angela. Breast milk is perfect and is made by God. If anyone puts you down for nursing I believe they did not nurse therefore don't want anyone else to. This was always your Aunt Martha's and my soapbox. Noah is a doll.

Love,
Cheryl
Jenn and Julie's mom

Unknown said...

I breast fed all 4. The baby days go by quickly! boo hoo Soon enough Noah will be downing gallons of milk like the Feltes kids.

Great to hear you are treasuring these close times with Noah. He'll be an energetic toddler in no time.

You're a wonderful Momma:)

~Katy