1.09.2012

Who AM I?

No, this is not going to be some deep philosophical analysis of myself.

Just wanted to say that over the weekend, I cut off all my hair...

An iPhone picture, so not the best, but you get the idea...

...and tried acupuncture for the first time! Who is this new person??

First, about the hair. I have considered cutting my hair really short since college. I occasionally see someone with short curly hair exactly the style I would like, and I really think about doing it. But then I think about how I don't really have a hairdresser I like; how I can't really describe or find a great picture of what I want; how I probably will regret it the minute it is cut. It takes a lot longer to grow back than it does to cut it all off! I can't really tell you what finally made me do it. I found a new hairdresser, recommended by Aunt Ninny and Jamie and Stephanie, and I guess I just put her to the test. I love it! She really understands curly hair and did a great job giving it the look I had hoped for. It's a big adjustment (and weird to feel how short it is), but I have no regrets.

Chris got me onto the idea of acupuncture. He played hockey with a licensed acupuncturist and talked to him about it before I was even pregnant. I'm kind of kicking myself now for not going to him right when the nausea started! I don't claim to understand how or why it works, nor can I say for certain it's not just a placebo effect. All I know is that so far it has worked more effectively than any of the three prescription nausea medications, ginger, heartburn meds, vitamin B6, etc. I went on Saturday way up in Grapevine. Daniel (my acupuncturist) had me describe the details of the nausea and everything, then examined my tongue. Again, I'm not saying I get this. He also took my pulse in both wrists. Then he had me lie on a table and he stuck needles in my wrists, knees, and feet. That's it! The worst part was that I had to lie there for 45 minutes with those needles in, which I couldn't feel, but I couldn't exactly adjust my position to be more comfortable. That night, I really put it to the test by going out to a very late birthday dinner with some friends--something that would have found me puking in the bathroom before. I felt fine until much later that night, but it was still such an improvement. Same with yesterday--went to evening services at church, ate a chili dog for dinner (see? I'm not doing anything to help the acupuncture. I have to put it to the test!) and stayed up until almost 11:00 without throwing up. Now, I can't say I feel completely normal--still some yucky feeling later in the evening, but I would say an 80-90% improvement from just a few nights ago. I will definitely be going back!


2 comments:

The Keltners said...

Angela, That is so very interesting! How long should it last/ how often are you supposed to go back? The hair is adorable!

Angela said...

Each person is different; it seems that most people have to go back weekly. So far I am still feeling well, and since I am past 12 weeks along, maybe I won't need it for much longer!