10.12.2012

Milestones

Things have been pretty busy around here, hence the lack of blog posting.

Noah has been struggling to stay in his bed at night... he says he's afraid of the monsters, but I think it has more to do with the little monster that sleeps in Mommy and Daddy's room and steals much of the attention. Anyway, for about a week we have put Noah to bed with dire warnings about what will happen if he wakes us up, but to no avail. I typically am just drifting off when I hear a faint cry that grows louder and more urgent. I stumble into his room, angry yet trying to be understanding: "What is it, Noah??" and I hear something along the lines of, "What are you doing? Are you watching TV?" I tried everything--assurances that we sent all the monsters to the pound before he was born, spankings, threats, teddy bears for protection, swords to fight the monsters--nothing worked. Then, Wednesday, Daddy (the one Mommy calls a "sucker" but Noah misunderstood, therefore calling him a "soccer ball") bought Noah a new Ninja Turtle and made Noah promise to stay in his bed and not cry. Mommy thought it would be more strategic to make him earn the Ninja Turtle by staying in bed, but Daddy puts way too much faith in the promises of a three-year-old, so Noah got Donatello and still woke me up several times Wednesday night. Donatello went into hiding and Noah was not allowed to watch any Ninja Turtles on TV yesterday. Then the Soccer Ball went out of town so the real parenting began. Daisy (our basset hound) slept in Noah's room to fend off the monsters, and Noah had to stay in bed without a peep to get Donatello back. If not, he would not get the toy, not watch any TV, and get a spanking. (You can see how desperate I am getting.) Sure enough--a restful night for all, and first thing at 7:30 a.m., a boy bouncing onto my bed and asking for Donatello. Hopefully, we can get the rhythm established before Soccer Ball gets home and screws things up again...

On the Audrey front, she has discovered her voice and is not shy about "talking" to anyone who will listen: her brother when he's engrossed in a show (she "yells" at him until he finally acknowledges her), her Mommy when she's hungry (why cry when you can let out high-pitched squeals?), and anyone who wants to smile and carry on a conversation, whether in a grocery store or at the retirement home yesterday! Here are some videos of her new coos and babbles, plus her favorite discovery: her hands!








2 comments:

Melanie said...

Madison is a master staller at bedtime, scared of the dark, needs a drink, wants a song, needs to go potty (even if she just went) you name it, she uses it. UNTIL I instilled the one chance rule. She gets one chance after we put her to bed (in case she really does need to potty or something) after that if I "see or hear her again" I lock her door, which she hates. We turned the handle around so we could lock it from the outside. And then go and unlock it before we go to bed. Works like a charm. I was so tired of the bargaining, bribing, spanking and such. Bed time is such a hard one. Hope things work even after the "soccer ball" comes back. :)

Angela said...

THANK YOU!! I am so going to do this. He is driving me insane; tonight it was potty, then lotion for his itching mosquito bites, then he needed a certain stuffed animal, then a Kleenex... I am doing the door thing ASAP!