When the news broke that a man had traveled here from Liberia and was diagnosed with Ebola, several thoughts came to mind. First, I was assigned to read The Hot Zone by Richard Preston when I was in freshman biology in 1998, and I learned a lot about the emergence of the Ebola virus and the capabilities of the disease to cause a widespread pandemic. I have since reread the book a few times, and it never fails to intrigue me and frighten me. Sure enough, the book's prophecy was fulfilled--Ebola has reemerged from the jungles of Africa and impacted human beings in greater numbers than ever before.
My second thought was that it seemed incomprehensible that the E.R. doctor, in the wake of Dr. Brantley's Ebola and all the light shed on the situation in west Africa, did not think to ask Mr. Duncan whether he had recently been in Africa. I have to assume that the guy had an accent, and sometimes, well, stereotypes may serve a purpose for the greater good. Of course, the hospital's information system was a factor, but ultimately, perhaps our doctors and nurses are tired and overworked by their long days? I can't help but think of the time I severely burned my hand with hot oil and the E.R. doctor at a major hospital near my house spent no more than 30 seconds to tell me that it was only first degree burns. (It was later seen by a competent doctor who spent a few more minutes with me and told me I had second and third degree burns.) I have nothing against E.R. doctors--my cousin is one and I know he is a fantastic person and doctor, but I do wonder how these dedicated people can stay sharp and focused toward the end of a twelve-hour shift, during which they see mainly the uninsured who come in with colds, sinus infections, UTIs, and so on.
The third notable thought in reaction to the news that Ebola had been diagnosed in the U.S. for the first time was a sense of calming trust in our health care system. I have never been a conspiracy theorist and I do not buy into most of the political mudslinging from either side, but I have a healthy and patriotic respect for the superiority of the American medical field and the knowledge of our researchers, scientists, and medical staff. After all, I read that book 16 years ago, so surely this country has had plenty of time to understand and prepare for the inevitable reemergence of such a fatal disease. Right?? So I laughed at the prevalent news headlines and the panic of a few ignorant but vocal people, knowing all along that the direct contacts would be quarantined and that Ebola would be contained in this first-world, first-rate country.
Well. Hmm.
Perhaps our arrogance and faith in humans is teaching us a lesson.
| Seriously? Are you immune to Ebola? Or just THAT confident that you won't contract it? |
![]() |
| “Ebola is scary. It’s a deadly disease. But we know how to stop it." --CDC Director Tom Frieden, who maybe doesn't quite have a handle on how to stop it? He also says, "We're always open to ideas for what we can do to keep Americans safe," and, "We would consider any options to better protect Americans." Here's an idea: let's err on the side of caution from now on, mmmkay? |

1 comment:
I'm so glad we haven't had any more cases! It seems like it's gotten much quieter around here in terms of Ebola-talk. Just wait until Halloween, though, I'm sure we'll see LOTS of hazmat suits!
Post a Comment