7.28.2016

The Green Bug

I'm hesitant to tell this story because I'm still a little mad and more embarrassed, but it's just too funny not to share.

Several weeks ago I was playing Legos with Noah when he mentioned to me that his foot was "still itching and hurting." I didn't know what he was talking about and he exasperatedly "reminded" me that when his friend was over (a week prior), a "green bug" had bitten or stung him on the foot. I tried to get a closer look but he protested loudly at my touch. I noticed that his foot was a little swollen and red and there was definitely a little bite. I was pretty worried since it had apparently been a week since the mysterious bug encounter and I suspected infection, so I got him in to the pediatrician that day.

When the NP took a look at Noah's foot, he let her press on it and manipulate it without complaint. She finally looked at me and said, "It looks like he has a fire ant bite..." My jaw dropped. I brought him to the doc for a fire ant bite?! She left the room to get me some cream for it (seriously!) and I started drilling Noah about this green bug and whether he remembered being bitten by ants. He conveniently then recalled that he had been out in Nana & Pandy's yard relieving himself (barefoot) the day before and that maybe he remembered ants biting him. Just before the NP walked back in, it also occurred to Noah that the "green bug" from a week before had actually bitten him on the other foot. I couldn't believe it! That stinker! I had to recount the story for my parents and in-laws, and everyone really got a kick out of it. Not so funny to me when I got the bill!

Yesterday I was helping Audrey wash her hands at my mom's house and I noticed a swollen, inflamed bite on her thumb. I began to question her about it and showed my sister. I said, "I think it looks like a fire ant bite," and she smartly retorted, "Well, you would know." At that point Audrey chimed in, "I fink a green bug bited me..."

No comments: