11.12.2012

My Little Sister's Wedding


Well, yesterday my little sister grew up all in one day, seems like, and married someone who whisked her away... how did this happen already? Isn't she still the toddler getting into my toys? Or maybe the little girl I ordered around when we played Barbies or house? Surely the gawky teenager I forced to do push-ups in high school band didn't just get married?! I think it's just now sinking in...

My baby sister tied the knot yesterday with Mark, an amazing guy she managed to meet without my help, and she is soon on her way to Hawaii for their honeymoon. I am so proud of her! (Okay, there are brief moments where I feel a smidge of pity for Mark because he has no idea what he's gotten himself into. Really.)

Friday was the rehearsal and a wonderful rehearsal dinner at a country club in McKinney. The dinner was delicious and so much fun--there were a few impromptu speeches, the best from my dad, who told how he should have seen it coming when Mark asked for Diana's hand in marriage. Dad said he had a flashback and in that moment realized how Mark had been paving the way all along--first, by owning a cat (my dad has a strange affinity for cats); secondly, by buying a Mini Cooper that is newer and faster than Dad's; and finally, by playing Frisbee with Dad and actually being really good at it (good enough, Dad joked, to eat a bagel and drink a Diet Coke while playing). Mom and Dad had rented some cottages at the country club for all of us to stay overnight, and they were really nice little places with kitchens and a great living area!

Home, Sweet Home (I wish...)

The living area of the cottage
Noah loving on Audrey



Sweet boy at the rehearsal

Bridesmaids receiving instructions




Luke, Noah and Madison
 Saturday was a full day of getting ready and taking photos before the wedding. Noah and Luke (Mark's oldest nephew) really hit it off, and we had a tough time getting them to settle down long enough for a few pictures! Then Madison (my cousin Melanie's oldest) joined the fray and it was almost too much fun to handle.


The wedding was at 1:00 at an old chapel set in a cemetery (I know--the circle of life) and I definitely got lost driving there with Audrey. I arrived at five minutes till. Not kidding. Anyway, Diana was chauffeured by Chris and remained in the car until it was time for her to line up and walk the aisle (there was no foyer), and Mom's cousin Mary snapped some great pictures of her waiting outside!




As she and Dad proceeded up the aisle, I could hear Mark's sister Andrea sniffling next to me and I watched as Mark wrestled with his emotions. Oh, great, there was no hope for me... that lump in my throat was rising! Ack! Luckily (ha ha), the weepy mood was broken by my mother mouthing something at me from her seat... the word "wasp." I gave her a quizzical look and she discreetly pointed at Diana's veil, where a small friend had joined Diana for the ceremony. I stood there for a moment and decided I was expected to do something about it, so I took a step toward Diana and started to reach for the veil. I guess Di assumed I wanted to take her bouquet from her, so she handed it to me. Great, now I had two bouquets and had to do something about the wasp. Maybe I could entice it out with the fragrant aroma of fresh flowers? Um, no. So I start delicately trying to untangle the wasp from her veil (right by her head, mind you) while most of the onlookers wondered why I chose that moment to arrange her veil. The whole time, Matt (our cousin and the minister) kept on speaking like a champ, but I doubt anyone heard that portion of his message... Diana and Mark just continued to stand there listening, ignoring the crazy bridesmaid messing with the veil. Finally, I looked at Dad helplessly and he calmly stood, stepped up behind her and somehow flicked the wasp about 5 feet sideways, straight at one of the bridesmaids, and then returned to his seat. Whew--crisis averted!

The remainder of the ceremony was uneventful, unless you count my sister becoming Mrs. Buchanan as an event...


She looked fabulous and everything had her creative touch. It was a beautiful, moving wedding and the reception at a little restaurant was really nice. The hors d'oeuvres at Gather were delicious, and Stephanie made the cakes, of course! I've never heard so much talk about wedding cakes--they were a huge hit. I enjoyed the friends and family so much that I barely got to sit down or eat any of the food! Time flew and suddenly their departure was upon us. We went out to Mark's waiting Mini and added a stowaway--Noah! He was supposed to pop up and say, "We're going to Hawaii!" as they drove away, but he was much too excited to stay hidden, so Diana booted him out before she even got in the car.


We threw (biodegradable) confetti (and might have also chunked paper cones at them... I'm not admitting to anything...) as they drove off. I stood there sadly, choking back tears yet so thrilled to see how much Mark and Diana love each other... and quite thrilled that I would make it home in time to see the entire TCU vs. Kansas State football game! Woo hoo!




P.S. I stole most of the pictures from people on Facebook, especially Andrea... thanks!

No comments: