6.23.2014

Summer Road Trip, Day One: Vicksburg


Our much-anticipated road trip/family vacation/summer getaway finally commenced on Saturday, 6/14! We loaded up Jamie’s Honda Pilot, utilizing the new luggage rack and weatherproof bag to hold all our necessities stuff. The plan was to drive to Vicksburg, MS for the first two nights, then on to Gulf Shores, AL for four nights, then home via the southern route with a one-night stop in New Orleans.

As we went through Louisiana, we needed a bathroom stop so we pulled off the freeway at a gas station/casino combo. Not being familiar with casinos and the like, I failed to note the different entrance for the gas station part, separate from the casino. I’m sure you can picture the scene: I marched right through that casino toting Audrey and with Noah trailing behind, headed for the bathrooms. A security guard spotted us and I heard him say to someone else, “There’s a baby in here!” He came running and informed me that I couldn't bring a baby in a casino. Whoops!

Luckily, we made it to Vicksburg without being arrested or the like, and after checking in at the hotel, headed to dinner. In my research (yes, I know) I had come across a place on the Mississippi called Rusty’s River Front Grill


While we waited for a table, we looked at the Motor Vessel Mississippi IV that is part of the Lower Mississippi River Museum, and scoped out some of the other fun sights around. 



Interactive scaled flood model of the Mississippi River

Dinner was FANTASTIC—Jamie and I shared the house special, a blackened redfish topped with a crawfish cream sauce; Chris had a shrimp po’ boy that was packed with great shrimp, and the kids even had fish sticks homemade from high-quality white fish. Drew had chicken. We couldn't pass on dessert, so we all shared a delicious strawberry pie and a gigantic piece of Mississippi Mud Cake. Is your mouth watering yet?

After dinner, we tried to walk off some of the calories with a stroll down to Catfish Row and the Children’s Art Park. 




Noah and Audrey enjoyed a top-notch playground and splash park, and then we watched the barges on the Mississippi as the sun set.






We took in the Riverfront Murals and went back by the Mississippi River model and the boat.


Drew put Noah up on the propeller for a photo op, and as Noah later described to my mom on the phone, he “was almost killed. The propeller almost sliced [his] head off.” We all got a kick out of his version of the story—considering that the boat was up on concrete pillars and was decommissioned twenty years ago!


No comments: