4.06.2011

Barber Shop

This evening we grabbed some dinner at Taco Bueno before church, but we finished with over half an hour to spare, so we decided to get Noah's hair cut quickly on our way to the church building. We were looking for a Sport Clips or something, but Chris spotted a little barber shop right on our way called "The Art of Barbering." Interesting name, but I figured it should be quick and not too pricey. So Chris, Noah and I walk in the door... and, how do I put this delicately?... every head in the room swivels and the loud rap music with booming bass seemed to screech to a stop. Every black man in that place froze. It was that kind of barbershop! In fact, the man closest to the door asked, "Are you meeting someone?" Chris was like, "Nope, just here for a haircut for the little guy." I'm sure they were just as shocked as we were... you should have seen this place. The walls were kind of a burnt orange, and all the barber chairs were chromed out and different colors, like neon green and orange crocodile skin. There were plasma TVs everywhere playing BET and the music was cranked. The guys getting their hair cut were very particular about the precision of the lines, and most of the barbers were using straight razors to trim the edges and do particular styles. It was really cool, actually, if we hadn't been this huge enigma to everyone there. I'm sure they were wondering how we ever wandered into that place. When it was Noah's turn, I sheepishly asked the barber if he had a sucker... LOL! Nope. All the other clients were in their 20s and 30s and had lots of tattoos, etc. It was the craziest thing. Chris and I were positive they all busted up laughing as soon as we walked out of the place.

One of the pictures of the place I found online                         

This is Sipp da Surgeon, the founder...                         
In the end, Noah got a great haircut for $10. We had to supply our own suckers, though.

:)

No comments: