Tuesday morning, Chris and Kirk had work to do, so I was on
my own in the big city. I got frustrated because I bought a Metra ticket (the
commuter train) into downtown before I realized that their trains only run
every hour or so after morning rush hour. I saw a bus station and hoped
for the best, taking it north into downtown and paying the fare on board.
One nice lady told me I could buy a day pass at Walgreens or CVS. I found my
stop and headed to the Willis Tower, formerly Sears Tower. It was a GORGEOUS
day in the 70s, breezy with clear azure skies.
 |
| Looking up all 103 floors of the Willis Tower |
It was a little weird
sightseeing alone—it’s nice having someone with whom to share the experience
and take pictures, but I offered to take a picture of two women on the Ledge
and they returned the favor. The Skydeck of the Willis Tower is on the 103rd
floor, and you have to go through airport-like security before even reaching
the elevator (we went right up in the Hancock tower without a bit of security).
On the 103rd floor, there are four recent additions: window boxes
out of plexiglass that extend out and have clear plexiglass floors. Yikes! You
can stand, sit, or lie on the Ledge and look straight down. So cool.
 |
| One of many great views from the Skydeck |
 |
| Me on The Ledge, 103rd story of the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) |
After the tower, I followed a guide of Chicago walks for a
short architectural stroll in the downtown loop. I saw the Rookery and the
Chicago Board of Trade, among other buildings.
 |
| The Rookery |
One thing I love about Chicago
is the history, and especially the variety of architectural styles. I know
nothing about architecture, but I enjoyed the juxtaposition of old and new as I
traveled around the city. I happened upon a little French restaurant called
Toni’s Patisserie and CafĂ©, which happened to be brand-new. The owner, an older
gentleman, was out front promoting it. I ordered a delicious grilled sandwich
of several cheeses, including goat; spinach; basil and red peppers. Amazing!
And the best cappuccino I’ve ever had.
 |
| My delicious late lunch on Tuesday |
Art texted me when he arrived downtown on bicycle, and we
walked over to Millennium Park and Buckingham Fountain.
 |
| Buckingham Fountain |
I then caught a bus
back to the hotel, feeling quite accomplished for mastering the transportation
(after an earlier meltdown). Chris, Kirk and I took the rental car to Navy Pier
and walked along the pier, enjoying the views.
 |
| Me on Navy Pier |
 |
| The skyline at sunset |
There really wasn’t much that
appealed to us along the pier—just lots of lake tours and dinner cruises—but we
rode the Ferris Wheel and ate outside at Bubba Gump’s.
 |
| The Ferris Wheel on Navy Pier |
 |
| Me and (nervous) Chris on the Ferris Wheel |
Link to my Chicago Album:
No comments:
Post a Comment