9.01.2013

Say WHAT?!?

My baby sister-in-law Stephanie, aka "Funny," is getting MARRIED!!! It can't be!


More than two weeks ago, Michael called Drew & Jamie to ask if he could come by and talk to them alone. (Jamie cried.) When he asked for Drew's permission to marry Stephanie, he also asked them to keep it quiet, but said he would be telling the siblings soon so that we could all be a part of the immediate celebration following his proposal. We won't go into how well Drew followed directions... but a few days later, Michael and Stephanie were at our house and she went into another room with Noah for a few minutes, so Michael handed us his phone, on which he'd briefly summarized that he was planning to propose!!! And he wanted to involve the family!!! I couldn't believe how cruel he was, telling me something like this with Stephanie in the other room. I couldn't even scream and jump up and down! I had to choke down a squeal and try to get the goofy grin off my face before Stephanie came back in the room.

Fast forward a week: Michael learns he is being sent to Pennsylvania for work the week of his planned proposal. Ack! By arrangement, Jamie sends all of us a text Tuesday, asking us to come over Friday around 6 for a family dinner. Everyone agrees, but Michael says he is getting together with a friend in Dallas so can't make dinner, but will come by later. (Side note: Steph is TICKED. I tried to warn Michael, but he said that was the price she paid for wanting to be surprised.) Michael, anxious and excited to pop the question, gets to Drew & Jamie's house at 2:30! Jamie and Drew leave in his car around 5:30, and we all meet at Jimmy & Courtney's house to await a text from Michael, telling us to come on over. As we wait, Chris and I receive a text from a friend, and Jamie (thinking it's Michael) exclaims, "What?! I didn't get a text!!!" A few minutes later, Drew mentions Michael Jackson while trying to look up a picture on his phone; Jamie says, "Drew! Did you say you got a text from Michael?!" Think she was excited? Finally, we get a message: "Come on!" We loaded up and headed to the house, excited to hug them and, of course, to see the ring!


It's not my story to tell, so I won't go into details, but Michael did get down on one knee to ask Stephanie if she would marry him. And of course, she said yes! We enjoyed several hours of talking and laughing with Michael's parents Ronny and Tammy, his brother Drew and sister-in-law Jaki, and his sister Rachel. They are lots of fun! I foresee some good times ahead as we continue to expand the ever-inclusive and loving circle that is our family. Maybe we can just have Michael change his last name instead of Stephanie? 




"The diamond on that ring is THIS big!"

"Noah, stand close to Audrey so I can get your picture." Audrey was having none of that.











No comments: