8.30.2013

Easy Dinner Post #3

When my cousin Melanie was living in Houston, I went to visit her and she made this delicious meal for us! She graciously shared the recipe, and it has become a staple at my house. Who doesn't love a slow-cooker recipe??? I have even taken this meal to friends after they had a baby, and have only received rave reviews. Enjoy!

Don't be intimidated by the cut of meat; you can always ask the butcher to cut one down if you can't find the right size. I have made this so many times and it always turns out deliciously!

Slow-Cooker Pulled-Pork Tacos
Photo by Kan Kanbayashi, courtesy of Real Simple
Ingredients
2 cups store-bought salsa, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Kosher salt
2 ½ lb. boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat (I've also used bone-in)
18 white corn tortillas
½ cup fresh cilantro sprigs
¾ cup sour cream
Limes, cut into wedges

Directions
1.       In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the pork and turn to coat.
2. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
3. Warm the tortillas in an oven, wrapped in foil.
4. Using two forks, shred the pork and stir into the cooking liquid. Serve with the tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, lime and extra salsa.

I love to make Rice-A-Roni's Mexican style rice to go with this,
and maybe a green salad or some seasoned black beans.















No comments: