8.06.2013

Photography: Continuing Aperture Priority

So I mentioned before that our class was chastised for our low shutter speeds, so our instructor took us into the hallway at TCU and had us shoot things with a shallow depth of field while keeping our shutter speed up.

Doorknob in focus; background out of focus!
f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 1600
The second week's assignment was to remain in aperture priority but to work on having a blurry foreground AND background. This takes some practice to be really focused on the subject. Here are the pictures I submitted:

f/5.6, 1/80s, ISO 3200

f/5.6, 1/100s, ISO 800

f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 800

f/5.6, 1/100s, ISO 800


f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 200
The last picture is the best example of shallow depth of field, particularly with the out-of-focus fern in the foreground. Something that would further enhance this effect would be a longer lens, and I have an old one that requires manual focus on my camera, but I hadn't tried it out at this point. Now that I've figured out a few things, I want to start using that 70-300mm lens more often! Sadly, it doesn't always work for what I might want to do since it doesn't autofocus.

1 comment:

Diana @ wonderfully made. said...

I really like the last one, that looks good! So glad you are learning all of this so you can take lots more pictures :)