8.09.2013

Hand, Foot, and Mouth

Nope, not doing the hokey-pokey. Poor baby girl seems to have contracted hand, foot and mouth disease, based on my consultation with a registered nurse, my wise cousin, and... wait for it... the Internet.

Wednesday, Audrey seemed warm to the touch throughout the day but it never occurred to me that it could be something besides the warm car or the 103 temps making her so hot--until that night at VBS when she was cranky and still very warm. Chris took her home and she had a 100.6 F fever, so we dosed her with Tylenol and put her to bed. Thursday morning she woke up running about 99.5, so more Tylenol, but was much better as the day went on. I honestly thought she was (finally) teething, because there were no other symptoms! This morning I noticed some bumps under her mouth, like a little break-out of baby acne maybe, but at lunch time they were bigger and redder. Still, I'm so oblivious--thought maybe her skin was irritated from drooling or something. Chris and I drove the kids up to visit Diana and Mark in their new house this evening, and as soon as we got to the restaurant, Chris noticed that Audrey's rash had now spread to her hands. Mark and Di were awesome; they helped with Noah and were patient with me and my panicky husband! I called a nurseline we have through our insurance and talked for awhile with an RN, and based on the symptoms, she thought it might be hand, foot and mouth disease. Poor baby! No treatment; just fluids and let it run its course. Brace yourself for the pictures:






1 comment:

Melissa Hourihan said...

Oh man! Hand foot and mouth is not fun!! Feel better soon :)