I received sad news this morning that my sweet dog Addie was hit by a car last night and killed. Addie has been progressively worsening in her anxiety over the last few years, and Drew and Jamie had graciously agreed to keep her at their house for the last year or so. Still, even with medication and different techniques like the thunder shirt, Addie would often panic and pant and pace and bark from nerves. A few times, she managed to escape by breaking out of their cedar fence (after squeezing through two cattle panels), and when Jamie called last night to say she was missing, I could only hope she'd make her way home in the morning.
I've prayed that she died quickly and there's nothing much else to be said.
More than anything, I am really grateful to Drew and Jamie for having so much patience and love for Addie. I was at my wit's end and torn between Chris and Addie. She was becoming impossible to keep, and I didn't know what could be done for her. Drew and Jamie's offer to take her extended and improved her life, in my opinion. She had more space to run and bark and was given lots of attention. Chris and I often felt guilty for all the trouble Addie gave his parents, but they constantly assured us that they didn't mind and that Addie was nice to have around. She was so smart that you could talk to her like a person and believe she really understood you. She was protective and always perfect with my children. And when she supposedly bit my neighbor who was trespassing and idiotically stuck his hand in the middle of a dog fight, I only wish she had bit him harder.
| This is Addie on the day we got her from the pound. My birthday! Jimmy and Stephanie gave me the best gift ever :) |
| Addie and Chaplin got along famously. |
One of her favorite activities was boating with us.
When Noah was born, Addie was perfect and protective.
Obedience class was... an experience...
| (Side note: Chris and me... WHOA.) |
Addie and Daisy loved each other, too.
Love you, Addie. I'm so sorry it had to end this way.





1 comment:
I am truly sorry Ang. I wish she would have relaxed more and could have spent more time with us. Something wasn't right in the past few years and I think we could see it. Never wished her to go like she did. I wish we would have gotten her when we had more space for her to run around. I love you and am so sorry this happened.
PS - You're right. WOW, look at us...
Post a Comment